Doc McGregor Photo Gallery
John Frederick “Doc” McGregor arrived here as a chiropractor in the late 1920’s and soon began taking photographs commercially to help make ends meet. And within weeks he was taking pictures of just about everything in town. The publisher of the Corpus Christi Caller began asking Doc to take photos for the paper.
They had no staff photographer and most photos had to be sent to Houston or San Antonio for engravings. They were published days after they had been taken. Doc worked with the paper more than 20 years, yet was never paid a penny for his newspaper work. His only compensation was the credit line below for each picture. With over a million negatives, carefully catalogued, Doc donated them to the University of Texas with the remainder going to the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History.
© 2002-2008 Corpus Christi Landmark Commission
Website created by
Farenthold Consulting, LLC